Thursday, July 26, 2012

Yum Pla Krob (ยําปลากรอบ)/Thai Crispy Fish Salad

Yum Pla Krob (ยําปลากรอบ) with all the fixins'

My grandma came to visit us this spring and before she left to go back to Bangkok, she made me her speciality dish, Yum Pla Krob (ยําปลากรอบ)!

Namprik Pao (น้ำพริกเผา) or Chilli Paste in Soybean Oil
Yum (ยํา) is a sort of Thai salad/marianade which consists of lime, palm sugar, fish sauce, thai chili, shallot and mint.  Yum can be made with almost any kind of meat with beef being the most popular.  My mom used to make a cuttlefish version which was always awesome, but the best is undoubtedly my grandma's yum with these crispy teeny tiny fish which is also extra special due to the addition of Namprik Pao (น้ำพริกเผา) or Chilli Paste in Soybean Oil.  We don't even attempt to make it without her, it's just not the same.  I'm not actually sure what kind of fish these are.  My mom says they might be anchovies but judging from the face she made, I really don't think she was confident in our classification either but they are delicious just the same.

Grandma makes this for me whenever she comes to visit us in New York, which has been more and more infrequent due to her age so I'm so happy to get this down now.
- Darin

~~~~

The little tiny fishies.
"Pla Lek Pla Noi"  Small dried anchovies has so many kinds.  If you go go to the Asian Supermarket you will find it from so many countries, too.  Try to find the Thai anchovies that has already fried or baked will even better.  But not the snack and already flavored kind. But if you cannot find it, it is fine to use from any country as long as it is small, almost like thread.  Use a fine coriander to rinse under running water and put in a paper towel to dry.  Change to another paper towel and put in the microwave for 30 seconds.  Heat a wok with a little of oil, keep stirring until it turns brown and crispy.

These "Pla Lek Pla Noi" usually I buy in Thailand when we visit any provinces near the sea.  And the beach usually the seafood is nice and they will have all kind of dried seafood for sale and of course, sweets.  Brings back my childhood again.  Certainly they are part of my children's memories too.

Every year,summertime is the time that I will take them back to visit Thailand.  And this year before we leave with my mom, my older daughter found out that we still have some little anchovies from Thailand.  She was so happy.  Grandma was the one who introduced her to them the first time.  I didn't make it for her because I leave it to grandma to make it for her someday.  It so easy and has no cooking, no sweating.  After finishing the dish my mom is always so proud that she is still can do something for her grandchildren to love.  Like many old people she suffers from loneliness and feel she is an old and useless lady.  I hope this trip has proved to her that that isn't the case. 

- Daisy

~~~~

Yum Pla Grob (ยําปลากรอบ)
Thai Crispy Fish Salad

For theYum:
1/3 cup Crispy Tiny Sea Fish
1 tbs Namprick Pao
2 tsp Fish Sauce
2 tsp Tamarind Paste
1/2 Lime
1 tbs Palm Sugar

The Fixins':
1/2 Shallot (Sliced)
1/4 cup Mint  (You can leave them whole)
1 Thai Chili (Sliced)
Toasted Peanuts (Optional)
Romaine Lettuce or Cabbage

1) You can either do it the harder/traditional way that my mom specified above with the wok or do what my grandma did which was throw the fish in an 350F oven for 10 minutes or until crispy.
2) While the fish is in the oven, make the yum by combining the Namprik Pao, fish sauce, tamarind paste, lime and palm sugar.  Taste and adjust to your liking.  Sprinkle with peanuts.
3) Get the fixins' ready
4) Add the now crispy fish into the yum sauce you made earlier and mix.  Taste and adjust again accordingly.
5) Assemble!  Break off a bite-size piece of lettuce or cabbage, spoon in some of the yum, top with a bit of shallot, mint and chili (only for the brave).  Stuff the entire thing into your mouth and enjoy the salty, sweet, tart, spicy and crunchiness of Yum Pla Grob (ยําปลากรอบ)!

The finished product.  The reason it is out of focus is because my mom took it.  Way to go Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment