Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Khao Mun Gai (ข้าวมันไก่)/Thai-Style Hainan Chicken

One of my most favorite Thai dishes!

Kao Mun Gai

Actually I think this dish is originally from Hainan, China but we Thais perfected it so it is Thai in my book.  The original version is called Hainan Chicken or Hainanese Chicken (for obvious reasons) and there are different variations throughout Asia.  I've tried the Taiwanese version and, honestly, it's a little bland for my taste but that might be because I've grown up eating the Thai version and we Thais like our food with a huge kick.  The difference, fyi, was in the sauce as far as I can tell.  That and the chicken was also a bit less oily which might sound healthier but just doesn't taste as good.  People have told me that the Singaporean version is supposed to be out of this world and is considered their national dish.  I've yet to try it but I'm hoping this summer when I go back to Thailand for the first time in 2 years, the fam and I will have a couple days to spare for a trip to Singapore and I can try for myself.  I will of course report back!

Anyways, back to the kickass Thai version of Hainan Chicken called Khao Mun Gai (ข้าวมันไก่), which literally translates to, "Chicken Oil Rice."  Okay, so not the most appetizing translation but trust me, this stuff is awesome, especially when you do the fried chicken version of this dish but that is for another post.  I have yet to make this myself but my mom has made it more than enough times for my brother and sister and I.

This dish isn't the easiest to try as a beginner but it is by no means overwhelming.  I think the thing that makes this recipe tricky is that you have to work with a whole chicken, which can be daunting to cooks who have never done so before, ie. me.  Yes, my mom spoiled me.  I have a childhood friend who can apparently make this dish like no other so I am determined to learn it as well so the next time I see him, I can actually look him in the eye and not shamefully avert my gaze.

- Darin

~~~~

Everyone in my family loves Khao Mun Kai, especially my son.  Every time he goes back to visit Thailand he asks everyone he knows where the best place for Khao Mun Kai is.  Of course, nowhere else will he get as big of a plate as Mommy's Khao Mun Kai.  And I know exactly just what my children like.  My son likes dark meat with a lot of rice, so he needs the bigger plate.  My older daughter likes white meat (of course, it would be still juicy) with a little bit more rice than she usually gets.  And my little one loves dark meat just like her brother and I will ask her to come get her own rice because now that she is getting into her moody teenager phase and sometimes her rice intake depends on her mood.  She might go for seconds or she will just take a lot at one time.  She is hard to predict.

When I make Khao Mun Kai usually I keep the broth that I boil the chicken in (the second boil) and serve it with the dish as most Thais do.  Ladle some into small pot (as you will not be able to finish it all at once, trust me) and add chopped wintermelon and boiled until soft. Salt and pepper to taste. Cilantro for garnish. This soup is a clear soup.  Everyone just take a small bowl to go with their Khao Mun Kai.

- Daisy


~~~~

KHAO MUN GAI (ข้าวมันไก่)
Thai-Style Hainan Chicken
HAI NAN ZHI

Serve 4 -6

Garnish:
1 English Cucumber, Quartered and Chilled
Sprigs of Cilantro

For the Chicken:
1 3-4 lbs. Chicken, preferably Bell &Evans (if frozen, must be totally defrosted)
1-2 slices of Galangal or Ginger
1 Scallion, 1” slices

1) Boil a pot of water. The pot will have to big enough so that water will just cover the chicken. Too much water will leach too much flavor out of the chicken.

2) Wash chicken thoroughly inside and out.

3) Cut out the tip of the wing and the bottom and anywhere that is too much fat. Just make sure not to overdo it because after the chicken is boiled, it will shrink and without a bit of fat, the meat will get too dry.

4) We will boil the chicken twice. The first boil is just basically scalding chicken to “detox” and clean it. Leave the whole chicken in the boiling water for 5 mins. Rinse it with clean water.

5) Using the same pot (just give it a quick rinse), bring the water to boil again. Put chicken in the pot and lower the heat so it is at a hard simmer instead of a rolling boil. Put the galangal and scallion in the pot and let it simmer for 20-25mins or until it’s done. Take the pot off the heat and let the chicken and broth cool.

6) If you see oil flowing on the surface, try to spoon it up in a bowl but do not throw it away as it can be used later. Try to spoon the oil up when it still hot. When it’s cooled it tends to stick to the spoon and makes the process much harder.

**TIP: If you love Chicken Liver Pate, keep the giblets!**

~~~~

For the Rice:
2 cups Thai Jasmine Rice
1 ½ cups Thai Long Grain Glutinous Rice
½ stick Butter (preferably organic)
1 Scallion (only the green part), 1” slices
½” knob Ginger, sliced
2 small cloves Garlic, smashed (unless you really like garlic then up it to 3 cloves)
1 14.5oz can Chicken Broth (preferably SWANSON 33% less sodium)

1) Wash the rice at least 3 times.

2) Heat butter in a pan, stir fry scallion, ginger and garlic until fragrant about 2 minutes

3) Put rice, the mixture and chicken broth in the electric rice cooker. If the water level is not to the number 3, just put water up to the level.

~~~~

For the Sauce:
3” knob Ginger (finely grated)
3 tbsp Sugar
⅛ tsp Salt
3 tbsp YEO’S (Fermented) Salted Soy Beans
2-3 Thai Chillies (sliced)
2 tsp Sweet Soy Sauce
2 tsp Soy Sauce
2 tbsp Water or Chicken Stock
3 tbsp Apple Cider or White Vinegar (preferably organic)

1) Combine all the ingredients together and stir until sugar dissolves. Adjust to your taste.

How to Carve the Chicken (didn't get pictures of my mom doing her things this time but will definitely add the next time!):

It is one of a know-how to serve. If you make it happen, it look nice, to eat this dish, you feel like heaven. If you can carve a Roast Chicken you can do this. It is just the same. You will need a bigger knife and a small knife.

1) Pour out all the juice from the chicken in a small bowl. Do not discard.

2) Find the joint of the two wings which attached to the body part and cut them out or you may fold and pull them out nicely.

3) Use your left hand to hold on to the chicken leg and fold gently to the back to find the joint which attached to the body, your right hand with a big knife cut down free separately. Do it both side and also with the drumsticks. Then scrap the meat from both legs and chopped into pieces.

4) For the breast of the chicken, cut the meat down one side of chicken breastbone with the tip of the knife , angle the knife, scrape and pull down along the breast. Chopped the meat into pieces. One side of the breast can be enough for 2 people.

5) Separate plate for the person who like dark meat and white meat.

Serve the chicken over rice with the cucumber slices on the side. Drizzle some (or a lot) sauce and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment