Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Oreo Whoopie Pies

Oreo Whoopie Pies

A couple of days ago our extended family in Queens asked us to their summer BBQ.  Of course, this being Queens, it was less of a let's sit in our lawn chairs, grill lots of meat and enjoy the summer in our great backyard and more of a let's sit on the chairs from the kitchen, grill some meat and enjoy the summer on the driveway.  It was fun and delicious all the same though.

My mom and I elected to take care of dessert and we couldn't agree on what we wanted to make, so in true Daisy and Darin tradition, we each made our own. 

Now this is the one thing about me that makes my mom convinced I was supposed to be born either Italian or Mexican (my two other favorite cuisines after Thai) instead of Thai--I really dislike any dessert made with coconut milk.  I love fresh coconuts and coconut water and I love coconut milk based curries (now if I didn't like that, I REALLY wouldn't be able to call myself Thai), but something about desserts with coconut milk just rub me the wrong way.  Kind of like when people try to convince me that milk and alcohol could work (sorry the Dude).  Now you might be thinking, "Big deal!  Just eat other desserts that aren't made with coconut milk."  But you don't understand.  Literally 99% of Thai desserts include coconut milk, which basically leaves me with maybe 2 Thai desserts I can enjoy.  My mother, of course, loves all of these desserts, in particular the Pumpkin Custard, which is what she decided to make for the barbeque.  I would have nothing to do with it so I decided to make Oreo Whoopie Pies.

My Oreo Whoopie Pies are basically the homemade version of Oreo Cakesters, which I find completely brilliant aside from the fact that I feel they taste so artificial.   This batter puffs up so beautifully right after you add the buttermilk, I haven't been so excited to see anything bake!  It is also the buttermilk that keeps the pies so moist and fluffy that it's like biting into a puff of cloud.  Yes, these are so good, it makes me poetic.

One thing to note is that I am not a big icing person.  I pretty much stick to the 4:1 ratio of cake to icing.  Anymore and I my teeth hurt and I swear I get dizzy.  You can always figure out which piece of cake was mine because I will always leave an icing skeleton behind (you know, with all the cake gone and most the icing left in an "E" shape).  So feel free to double the recipe for the filling if you are a lover of icing.

Anyway, both my Oreo Whoopie Pies and Mom's Pumpkin Custard were huge hits at the barbeque, which of course made us both smile like complete idiots all the way home.  I managed to save some of my Oreo Whoopie Pies for my boss and intern for Monday.  Yum!

Here is my recipe for the Oreo Whoopie Pies adapted from the blog food is luv.  The mother has been busy packing as she's leaving for Bangkok tomorrow morning so she hasn't had time to sit down and write her post but the Pumpkin Custard recipe is coming!

- Darin

~~~~
OREO WHOOPIE PIES
HOMEMADE OREO CAKESTERS

For Oreo Whoopie Pie Batter:
3 1/2 cups Flour
1 cup Cocoa Powder
2 tsp Baking Soda
2 tsp Salt
2 cups Buttermilk
2 tsp Vanilla Extract
2 cups Butter at Room Temperature
2 cups Brown Sugar
2 Eggs

For the Vanilla Filling:
1/2 cup Butter
2 cups Powdered Sugar
2 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 tbs Milk (Whole is best but Skim will also suffice)

1) Preheat oven to 350F.

2) Combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl and set aside.

3) In a separate bowl mix together the buttermilk and vanilla. Set aside

4) Beat together the butter and brown sugar until creamy then add the eggs until combined. Alternate adding the flour mixture and buttermilk mixture in batches, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Be careful not over mix.

5) Use a 2" ice cream scoop to scoop out the batter onto a cookie sheet lined with either wax paper or silpat. Leave at least 1" between each mound.

6) Get a small bowl of room temperature water to wet your finger and smooth out each cake mound into a nice round top.

7) Bake in a 350F oven for 12mins. Let cool at least 15 minutes before frosting.

8) Cream the butter and sugar together until very well combined and fluffy.

9) Add the vanilla extract and milk and beat until the filling has loosen a bit.

10) Assemble. I used a 1" ice cream scoop to scoop in the filling which is the perfect amount for me. If you prefer more filling, I would double the filling recipe and use a 1.5" ice cream scoop.

Note: Be careful about stacking the pies together as they will stick. This is why wax paper is your best friend and is absolutely necessary if you need to stack these awesome little things for transportation.

Makes 30 Oreo Whoopie Pies.






No comments:

Post a Comment