Sunday, June 30, 2013

Beef Panang Curry (พะแนง)

This dish is not complicated but it does require a bit of time. The time spent, however, is absolutely worth it.  It is a curry dish that is not too spicy, is a bit on the sweet side, and has a lot of coconut flavor. My son loves it so much and always applauds me on not cooking the beef too soft, but just tender enough. He sure knows how to enjoy. It feels good how to have somebody believe in you. The beef that you will be looking for is the kind of beef that you would use for a stew.  The cut I got is the leg from the Chinese market but Chinese cuts are different from American cuts. The Chinese leg cut has both meat, some tendon and some fat which is suitable for this kind of long stewing.
My son especially loves this dish because this dish does not have anything else (he's never been a fan of vegetables) but the meat.  Try shrimp, pork, fish.  And don't forget about the kaffir lime leaves on top.  I've found that using scissors to cut the leaves into thin strip is most convenient to me.

Please try it, I know you will love it, just like my son.
- Daisy

~~~~
My mother isn't kidding when she says my brother loves this dish.  He generally loves any meat dish with sauce but this really is his favorite.  I know that when he visits, this dish will always be on the menu at least twice before he leaves.  Although my mother loves cooking for my sister and I, she always gets extra excited making this dish for my brother and to see her beaming when he tells her how much he loves it is so sweet to see.  I really am convinced that mothers have soft spot for their sons, much like how fathers have a soft spot for their daughters. 

The key thing to really note in this recipe is the kaffir lime leaves.  It may seem like just a garnish but I find that it really elevates the dish and gives it a unique taste to the curry that no other cuisine can come close to.  The leaves are hard to find but check in the frozen or refrigerated sections of Chinese markets or any Southeast Asian markets.  It really is worth it.  Promise.
- Darin
~~~~
Beef Panang Curry
พะแนง

Serves 2-3

3-4 lbs. Beef Brisket/Shank/Chuck, cut into big chunks
1/2 can Panang Curry Paste (Mae Sri is recommended)
1 [250ml] Coconut Milk (Aroy-D is recommended)
3-4 Kaffir Lime Leaves, cut in thin strips or chiffonade
2-3 Red Chilies, cut diagonally
1/2 tsp Palm Sugar (you can substitute regular sugar but it won't be the same)
1 Fish Sauce
1tbsp Vegetable Oil

1) On low heat, simmer the beef in coconut milk for about 45mins, or until cooked through and tender.  Keep the pot covered and stir it from time to time.  Make sure it is a simmer, you really don't want a rolling boil for this recipe.  

2) In a small sauté pan, heat up the vegetable oil and add in the curry paste.  Stir until fragrant then throw in the beef mixture and combine.  Add in the fish sauce and palm sugar. 

3) Top with kaffir lime leaves and red chillies and serve with Thai Jasmine rice.  Enjoy.



No comments:

Post a Comment