Monday, August 20, 2012

Kai Jeaw Moo Sub (ไข่เจียวหมูสับ)/Thai Egg Omelet with Ground Pork

Kai Jeaw Moo Sub (ไข่เจียวหมูสับ) or Thai Egg Omelet with Ground Pork.
Humble but absolutely delicious!

I'm really homesick.

With my mom still in Asia along with my little sister and my first year of law school starting, needless to say, I need a lot of comfort, especially since I just got back from Bangkok.  This concept of being homesick has always been a bit weird for me since I always felt like I had two homes when I was growing up: Bangkok, where I was raised until I was 9, and New York, where I moved to and consider the place where most of my growing up actually happened.  Of course, the family still went back to Thailand every summer and that is probably why I feel I developed this kind of dual life where I end up being homesick ALL the time; if not for Bangkok then for New York and vice versa.    Each life has it's own pace, it's own family and friends and especially it's own flavor.

It is this flavor that I have missed most.  The last two summers before this one I was unable to travel back for the annual migration back to Bangkok with the family since I got a job and apparently when you get a real job you can't just take off for a month to Asia.  Who knew?!  Certainly not my father who was baffled by this concept.  So since I quit my job to start law school this summer, I was able, in the span of 1 1/2 weeks, to experience some the flavors that I have been missing for the last 3 years.

Now that I am back, I've had intense withdrawal and have been wanting to cook some thai food but with the start of law school, renovating my bathroom, seeing my friends to deliver their requested presents and dealing with my terrible jet lag, I just haven't had time.  Not surprisingly when I told my mom, she asked why I couldn't just make Kai Jeaw?  Silly Darin, of course!  This thai omelet is probably the simplest thing to make and is the default comfort food for all Thai's across the globe.  Good thing my mom went through it with me before she left.  I can never get it as fluffy as her.

Perfect!  Homesickness cured!...Okay, maybe not cured, but it certainly helped!

- Darin

~~~~

"FRIED EGGS WITH GROUND PORK"  This is a very normal dish for Thai people.  Even if you are royal family or you are village people you love this dish and you get to eat it!  This is the dish that go with Thai SRIRACHA sauce or you may make you own NUM PRIK PLA sauce(Fish Sauce with Chili),  big plate of hot rice, then either you are using the best porcelain utensil or gold or using plastic utensil, it doesn't matter.

When my son was in college, this dish made him famous.  It is not a normal scrambled eggs but this KAI JAEW MOO SUB.  And he made it for all his Korean friends and of course, they loved it with SRIRACHA sauce.

When we went to visit grandpa in a very local village in China, which has no restaurant, we had to eat like a villager and grandpa told us that the best thing is to eat KAI JAEW MOO SUB.   Rice is hot and the dish is hot, at least is germ proof because everything is well done.
When we got sick and stay home.  We can make KAI JAEW MOO SUB together with CONGEE.
Now you will be asking what is CONGEE, right?  That will be our next project.  Please follow us for more when I get back! 


- Daisy

~~~~

Kai Jeaw Moo Sub (ไข่เจียวหมูสับ)
Thai Egg Omelet with Ground Pork

3 Eggs
1/8 lb Ground Pork
1 tbs Oyster Sauce
1/2 tbs White Soy Sauce (although regular will substitute just fine)
Good big pinch of ground white pepper (although regular will substitute just fine) 
Vegetable Oil


1) Oil your pan (it should cover the bottom of your pan by 1/4 inch) and turn the heat up to med-high.  You need this pan sizzling hot to make the eggs puff up.

2) Combine all the ingredients minus the oil and whisk with a fork like crazy (Fyi, the real masters use chopsticks for this.  Watching my Mom and Grandma do it is absolutely CRAZY!).  We are aiming for an insanely fluffy omelet so incorporating air is key. 

3) Check to make sure the pan is HOT, like you can only hold you hand over it for a couple of seconds hot.  Pour the eggs in and stand back, it gets a bit violent.  An apron is highly recommended for this one.

4) Once the egg is cooked through on the bottom and the top is only still a bit runny, slide your spatula under the egg, slowly drag it out a bit and flip.  Don't worry if this takes a couple of attempts.  Let the omelet cook for another minute.

5) Serve with a big heap of rice and lots of sriracha.  Make sure the sriracha is made in Thailand or my mom will hunt you down.  Seriously.

Makes one omelet.


2 comments:

  1. Hello, Daisy,
    I can totally understand about sriracha sauce. I missed my mom's meat omelet and may call her later to ask her recipe then add some sriracha sauce with some Thai touch. Your recipe make me homesick too. I am happy to find you and your daughter's blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thai Sriracha Sauce is the best. It could be for everything. Try with some other meat, seafood, or even pasta. You will not believe it. Other brand that is not from Thailand is only hot and salty flavor. Thai Sriracha is smooth sweet , spicy, garlic, chili flavor. It just different taste.

      Delete